CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

2.20.2007

An Anecdote of Example

Yesterday I was folding clothes in my room, standing with a clear view into Eli's room. That's where the kids were playing. Eli wasn't in my line of sight, but Chloe was. Was she ever. I am watching, she doesn't realize it.. yet. She is quietly reading a book, then out of nowhere, she, without any provocation, lifts her book above her head, rares it back, and.....sneaks a peek out of the door where I stand watching. She sees me, self-corrects, and pretends to scratch her head with the book! Like I am going to buy that. I give her the look and she goes back to quietly reading. I need to put some dish towels away, so I decide to make a quick trip to the kitchen wherein I hear "doont...doont...doont...doont.. BWAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA...doont..." I quickly run into Eli's room, and for once, Chloe was so into what she doing she didn't hear me coming or have time to get into "position innocence." What do I see? My sweet little girl holding Eli's head between her hands and rhythmically beating it into the closet door. That's what I'm struggling with.

Now, I know the "(gasp) I can't believe you left the two of them alone" attitude. I have had more than one run-in with it of late. But, please, please keep in mind, I have a small house, I can hear everything, they are never that alone. And, as small as it is, it's still virtually impossible to keep clean. I relish the few minutes they play together so that I can check my email or do the dishes or fold clothes or even use the bathroom alone. It doesn't happen often, and when it does, I take advantage of it. :o/

2 comments:

Monica

Ooohhhhh. :-( I'm sorry. It's so sad see your little ones beat on each other.

Don't let anyone beat you with the "bad mom" stick! You are a great mom to those two, and walking to the kitchen was in no way an unreasonable thing to do. Chloe did something wrong; that doesn't mean that you were somehow responsible. ((hugs)) Someday I'm gonna buy us matching posters of the "No one can make you feel inferior without your consent" quote from Eleanor Roosevelt. Stand strong, my friend!

Anonymous

Well said.