CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

7.19.2007

Mary Mary Quite Contrary

We planted our very first ever "garden" this year, consisting of two tomato plants, two squash plants, a watermelon plant, and some pretty flowers.  We only have a small strip of mulch in the backyard where we are allowed to plant, but everything has thrived, and it has been a lot of fun.  Chloe's job is to water the plants every evening, and she absolutely loves it. At times I have tried to water the plants on my own, only to be rebuked by a panicked Wormy running and yelling, "No Mommy! Mommy not do it! That's Co-ey's job, that's not Mommy's job!"  Occasionally, when I am feeling especially patient, I even let her pull off the dead flowers to keep everything looking vibrant.  She really loves those times.  So far we have harvested and consumed six squash.  They were so yummy.  We have a half dozen green tomatoes, a watermelon, and a few more squash still on the vine.  I can't wait until the watermelon is ready.  There is something incredibly satisfying about eating the fruits of your labor.  It just tastes better.

1 comments:

jillian

Oh my gosh, are those squash from the squash plant that the lady at McDonald park gave us? I'm so impressed, Chloe! You and mommy must really have green thumbs. My poor squash plant never made it out of Raleigh. Died by week's end. Oh well.