CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

8.18.2007

Dollhouse Dreams

It was almost refreshing to see the giant goblins set-up in Sam's Club this morning.  It helped us know that we weren't the only ones looking forward to that last weekend in October, and we weren't completely crazy for thinking about it oh so soon.  Of course, it's not Halloween that excites us, but Wormy's third birthday, just two days before the big day of bewitching. 

We have been giving her birthday lots of thought for awhile now, primarily concerning ourselves with the perfect present.  We decided this year, if at all possible, would be the year of the Dollhouse.  We want something special, nothing plastic and fleeting, but rather a rich, wooden, heirloom that will be enjoyed not only by Chloe, but by the next generation as well.  I've been combing the internet looking for the perfect match, and have attempted to snag a few pretty good looking ones on Craigslist, always to be beat out by a swifter, more desperate mommy.  Afraid we would never be able to buy anything nice, I asked my mom and my grandma if they would be willing to go in with us instead of buying Worm a seperate gift, and they were completely excited to do so!

Last night, we took the kids to Learning Express so I could see some houses in person while the kids played with the Thomas set.  I decided a few that I kinda liked online were merely okay in person. I was a little discouraged, thinking nothing was quite good enough when I finally saw it.  The one.  The perfect heirloom.  It was beautiful, but not frilly.  Big, but not monstrous.  Modern, but not so to become dated.  And it had a couple of really cool features (ie. a working doorbell and drapes that go up and down), but not so many that the gadgets strip away the need for imagination. I was in love, and so was Patrick.  I looked for a price, and finding none, went over to the clerk to inquire.  I thought it would be a little high, but I didn't think I would see my dreams dashed so quickly and violently! (That much?!? For a dollhouse!!) We left a little dejected, but knew we would find something nice, just not that nice elsewhere.  I decided to look for the one from the store online last night, and hit dead ends at every turn.  Vendor after vendor was sold out with no idea when more would be in.  And then it happened.  I found one!  At a place called Future Memories, no less.  Not only did I find one, but it was fifty dollars  cheaper!  We ordered it immediately, knowing it was still too pricey for a birthday gift, but not being able to help ourselves, and it will be here in a week or so.

Anyone else willing to chip in instead of getting a seperate gift would be greatly, greatly appreciated.  If you do like to buy seperate presents, furniture (Melissa and Doug or Ryan's Room type) for our little people will be much loved, otherwise, they will have only curtains and a doorbell till Christmas!  Those of us who buy the house will all sign the bottomside, adding a special note or Bible verse to make this gift truly special and meaningful for years to come.  We are so excited about it, and really have no idea how we are going to keep ourselves from ripping open the box and ringing the little tiny doorbell before the big day.

I have another story or two to tell regarding this whole thing, but since this has become tiresome already, I will end now, and quench your desire to see what this great thing looks like.... so without further ado...!

                                dollhouse.jpg

Ta-DA!

0 comments: