CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

10.16.2006

First Love

Being the sentimentalist that I am, I have been waiting patiently to hear those three little magical words fall from Chloe's lips- "I love you." Several times over the past two years I have thought about how sweet and fulfilling it will be to hear those words for the first time. Like most things in motherhood, somehow, things didn't sound quite like I had planned.

This morning Chloe and I left her foodsick daddy and napping brother at home to go do the weekly grocery shopping. It was quite an exhausting weekend, so both of us were kind of grumpy as we set out. After several minutes of incessant whining, I told Chloe she had to sit quietly until she could be sweet. So she did. About 30 seconds go by when I hear this....

"Truck! Truck!"
"Hi Truck!"
"Bye truck!"
"Bye truck, I wuv you truck. I wuv you!"
"I wuv you, truck!"

Hmph. I wanted to be loved first.

As I carried her into the store, we talked things through...
Me: I love you, Chloe!
Chloe: blank stare
Me: Do you love mommy, Chloe?
Chloe: blank stare
Me: Well mommy looooooves you, Chloe!
Chloe: blank stare

Oh well, it's just a truck. Trucks are pretty cool. It could be worse, right? Right! Very, very right.....

After the groceries are unloaded, everyone is sitting around the lunchtable eating. I am in the kitchen making myself a sandwich when I hear.....

"Flyyyy! Flyyy!"
"Hi, fly!"
"Hi, fly, I wuv you!"


Double hmph. Maybe one day I will rank among the trucks and flies.

1 comments:

Daddy

her complicated relationships with flies and trucks seem to have elements of both love and fear. we may have to wait for a little more "respect" before we get her vocalized love.